Ever wondered about the props in Goldfish Gail’s fishbowl? I have answers.
Fans of The West Wing know a little secret: C.J. Cregg’s pet goldfish, Gail, often has her bowl decorated with props that wink at episode themes. Panda bears, cash, flags, cabbages, flamingos, a love bed, a space shuttle, a telephone, and a fire engine. They are planted just for our delight (and hopefully Gail’s as well). The trick is to try and spot them. And this friends, became my obsession recently.
Below, for the first time, is a complete list of all of Goldfish Gail’s adventures alongside C.J., Danny, and the rest of the West Wing gang. Let’s get swimmin’!
And, hey, if you think you can identify one of the mystery props, please do comment. If you can convince me, I will happily give you full credit for the spot!
Season 1, Episode 9
- Prop: Nothing. Welcome, Gail!
- Gravel: None? Oh, com’on, Danny.
- Nod to Plot: It’s a new fish! (And Danny loves C.J.)
Season 1, Episode 10
- Prop: Christmas tree, with some festive poinsettias atop
- Gravel: White, like snow. Snow with fish poop.
- Nod to Plot: Christmas episode!
Season 1, Episode 11
- Prop: What appears to be a military helicopter
- Gravel: Red, like blood
- Nod to Plot: India-Pakistan conflict
Season 1, Episode 12
- Prop: A little wooden lectern and two American flags
- Gravel: Red, white, and blue
- Nod to Plot: It’s the State of the Union address!